Increase Yields & Donations. Attract & Retain Key Employees.
Nonprofit organizations, including hospitals, universities, and foundations, often achieve their key person acquisition and retention goals by using supplemental executive retirement plans funded with life insurance. Acumen has developed several proprietary plan designs for nonprofits with the objective of maximizing tax efficiency, liquidity, flexibility, and ease of administration. With our plans, the sponsoring organization will not only recover the entire cost of the benefit provided to the executive but will earn a very real rate of return on committed dollars. We also show organizations how to help pay for these plans by repositioning low-yielding assets into a policy that provides more competitive current yields without sacrificing safety or liquidity.
Safety and Liquidity With Higher Yields
Specially designed life insurance can help your organization earn a higher current yield without sacrificing safety or liquidity while acquiring protection on your key people.
- Your organization will enjoy an annual net yield typically ranging from 250-to-500 basis points higher than similar risk-adjusted assets it currently owns.
- As interest rates rise, so will the yields on these policies.
- Death benefits can be paid to your organization and/or the insured’s heirs.
Attract & Retain Key Employees
Acumen Insurance Solutions help nonprofits attract and retain their top executives by:
- Improving the efficiency of existing 457(f) and split-dollar non-qualified benefit plans in order to provide better economics for the organization and the key executive.
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining new non-qualified benefit plans, including institutionally-designed supplemental executive retirement plans and management succession arrangements.
Our iGift Legacy Program provides benefits to organizations now and at the insureds passing, making it a more desirable option than traditional “charitable plans.” Your organization can:
- Access 100% of the gifted dollars from day one, without surrender charges.
- Insure someone other than the donor, depending on the situation.
- Enjoy a competitive rate of return on gifted dollars with no market risk.
- Take advantage of a significant death benefit paid to your organization at the insureds passing.
Nonprofit Governance Symposium 2021
"The plan also provides our key people with a safe, simple, and more tax efficient result." — Doug Ferraro, CEO, Bellco Credit Union
"From my perspective, it is critical that a Supplemental Executive Retirement Plan (SERP) work well for both out people and the credit union itself. The program Gateway Services introduced us to that Scot Hinkle, JD, CFP and his team designed first and foremost increased our yield on a significant portion of cash and equivalents by 4% while maintaining the safety and liquidity. The plan also provides our key people with a safe, simple, and more tax efficient result. Compared to other popular programs marketed to credit unions, ours is incredibly flexible and requires 35% less capital to achieve the desired retirement benefit for each executive."
"I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to review your COLI and SERPs with the experts at Acumen" — Dave Roughton, President & CEO, SAFE Credit Union
"Like many other credit unions, SAFE invested in Corporate-Owned Life Insurance (COLI) as a way to offset the cost of our benefits plans. Through Scott Hinkle and his team at Acumen Insurance Advisors, we came to learn that not all COLI is created equal. In our case, restructuring our COLI with Acumen will ultimately provide SAFE with a substantial increase in long term income from our original program. In addition, Acumen is now administering our existing Supplemental Executive Retirement Plans (SERPs), providing a level of service and insight that I have no experienced elsewhere. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to review your COLI and SERPs with the experts at Acumen Insurance Advisors.