Increase Yields. Attract & Retain Key Employees.
We create specific life insurance plans for credit unions allowing them to informally fund employee benefit plans and increase current earnings without sacrificing safety or liquidity. We help credit unions analyze and update their life insurance portfolios to maximize efficiencies and yields, and we help structure their employee retention plans to benefit the organization as well the executive. We were even awarded Best Credit Union Advisory Firm in the USA by Wealth & Finance International for our work in this specialized area!
Safety and Liquidity With Higher Yields
Credit Union-Owned Life Insurance (CUOLI) can help your organization earn a higher current yield without sacrificing safety or liquidity while acquiring life insurance protection on your key people.
- Your credit union will enjoy an annual net yield typically ranging from 250-to-500 basis points higher than similar risk-adjusted assets it currently owns.
- As interest rates rise, so will the yields on CUOLI.
- Death benefits can be paid to your credit union and/or the insured’s heirs.
- Up to 25% of a credit union’s member equity can be utilized.
- Ideal for compliance with FASB ASU 2016-01.
Attract & Retain Key Employees
Acumen Insurance Advisors help credit unions attract and retain their top executives by:
- Improving the efficiency of existing 457(f) and split-dollar non-qualified benefit plans in order to provide better economics for the credit union and the key executive.
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining new non-qualified benefit plans, including institutionally-designed supplemental executive retirement plans and management succession arrangements.
Improved Credit Union-Owned Life Insurance (CUOLI) Performance
We help credit unions analyze and update their existing CUOLI portfolios to maximize efficiencies and yields.
- Innovation, automation, negotiation, and increased life expectancies have improved the competitiveness of many life insurance contracts, making today’s policies far more efficient than many of those purchased by credit unions just a few years ago.
- Improving an existing CUOLI portfolio can often mean reducing risk and significantly improving earnings over time.
Comply with FASB ASU 2016-01
Effective December 15, 2018, price changes in a credit union’s “equity securities,” including stocks, mutual funds, and ETFs, are to be recorded against current net income. The result is that a brief market downturn with these volatile assets could look devastating on an organization’s balance sheet.
Credit Union-Owned Life Insurance (CUOLI) is ideally-suited to comply with the FASB update because it:
- Minimizes investment volatility.
- Retains a high level of predictability and flexibility.
- Is backed by some of the world’s largest insurance companies.
"The plan also provides our key people with a safe, simple, and more tax efficient result." — Doug Ferraro, CEO, Bellco Credit Union
"From my perspective, it is critical that a Supplemental Executive Retirement Plan (SERP) work well for both out people and the credit union itself. The program Gateway Services introduced us to that Scot Hinkle, JD, CFP and his team designed first and foremost increased our yield on a significant portion of cash and equivalents by 4% while maintaining the safety and liquidity. The plan also provides our key people with a safe, simple, and more tax efficient result. Compared to other popular programs marketed to credit unions, ours is incredibly flexible and requires 35% less capital to achieve the desired retirement benefit for each executive."
"I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to review your COLI and SERPs with the experts at Acumen" — Dave Roughton, President & CEO, SAFE Credit Union
"Like many other credit unions, SAFE invested in Corporate-Owned Life Insurance (COLI) as a way to offset the cost of our benefits plans. Through Scott Hinkle and his team at Acumen Insurance Advisors, we came to learn that not all COLI is created equal. In our case, restructuring our COLI with Acumen will ultimately provide SAFE with a substantial increase in long term income from our original program. In addition, Acumen is now administering our existing Supplemental Executive Retirement Plans (SERPs), providing a level of service and insight that I have no experienced elsewhere. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to review your COLI and SERPs with the experts at Acumen Insurance Advisors.